For a module in virtual environments, my students build their own virtual worlds with a theme and purpose of their own choosing. The idea was to combine various kinds of media (audio/video, scripts, links) into a coherent whole using OpenSim as a development environment. This is also their practical examination.
This year, I saw a lot of impressive models developed using third-party tools such as Blender, 3D Studio Max and Google SketchUp. I encouraged them to use in-world tools initially – to become familiar with using Second Life. Next year, though, I will definitely include a third-party tool section.
Worlds, by (avatar names):
- Sonic the Hedgehog Simulation, by Sean Brand
- Athletics World, by Antz81
- Anchorhead Tatooine, by Bestnickname
- Naruto World, by Darnitalian
- League of Legends Simulation, by Darntwaiwanese
- Warhammer 40k Compound, by Gdswardt
- Island Paradise, by Henk
- Theme Park, by Sltw02011
- NASA base and Moon Simulation, by StaticBlur
- Angry Birds Simulation, by Zziworld
- Sports World, by Alwyns
- Futuristic NASA Colony, by Brometheu5
- The Wandering Isle (inspired by Mists of Pandaria), by Celynthria
- U2 Concert, by Go0Sie
- Paintball Arena, by JJBotha [pending]
Have a look at 2011′s group too. If you’re interested in contacting any of these students, let me know.